What you need to know to become a patient:
- We only serve the uninsured.
- You must be a patient in order to use our clinical and mental health services. However, you do not have to be a patient in order to use the Joy Wellness Center.
- We serve patients in the following Baltimore City zip codes: 21211, 21218, and 21213. If you don’t live in one of these zip codes, please call First Call for Help for further assistance at (410) 685‑0525, contact Health Care Access Maryland’s Resources for the Uninsured at 410–649-0525, or Charm City Clinic at 443–478-3015. All of these services will help connect you to healthcare resources.
- Our income qualifications are as follows:
|Persons in family
should be below
For each additional person add $7,200.00
If you think you qualify, please give us a call during clinic hours at (410) 467‑7140. You will be screened over the phone. We are located behind City College on the #36 MTA bus line. Plenty of free parking is available. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Clinic Hours: Tuesday – Thursday 9–4 and Friday 9–1, plus the 2nd and 4th Wednesday evenings and 1st and 3rd Saturday mornings. Visits by appointment only.
- Affordability: If you’re working, the suggested donation is an hour’s wage per office visit. If you’re unemployed, the usual donation amount is $9. Additional suggested donations: physicals — $15, pap smears — $20, and labs vary.
- Your First Appointment: Please arrive 15 minutes early with the following information:
- Photo ID and proof of current address; utility or phone bill, or lease with current address.
- If you’re working, please bring your current pay stub.
- If you’re married, please bring your spouse’s pay stub.
- If you receive unemployment, or SSI, please bring in documents to show how much you receive.
- If you’re not working, please bring a letter from the person who is taking care of you financially.
- Cancel appointments by calling 24 hours in advance. Three “No Shows” a year leaves you ineligible for services for 6 months. The doctors want to spend time with you, so please be on time or call us if you’re running late. If you’re more than 15 minutes late, you may not be seen by your doctor.
- Specialty Care, Hospital, & Diagnostic Services Referrals: Most referrals are to Union Memorial Hospital. Each referral requires a separate form from our clinic. You must take your referral form to your appointment for free care. Again, we require that you be on time for your appointment.
- Medication Refills: Unfortunately, we need at least 48 hours to fill prescriptions. Please note that we are closed on Mondays. Do not wait until you are out of medicines before calling for a refill. When you call, have the name(s) of your medication(s) and your next appointment date handy.
- Emergency Services: Shepherd’s Clinic is not equipped to handle emergencies. Please go to your nearest hospital. Visits to the ER are your financial responsibility unless a clinic doctor has given you a referral. The clinic does not cover ambulance services. We cannot see pregnant women.