History

History

So, how did this whole thing start?

  • The idea for Shepherd’s Clinic was formed during the summer of 1989 by a Medstar Union Memorial Hospital (MUMH) physician assistant and members of the Seventh Baptist Church – located at the corner of North Avenue and St. Paul Street – in response to the overcrowding of the hospital’s emergency room by non-emergency, uninsured patients.
  • Learning of this grassroots effort, which opened its doors to patients in June 1991, former MUMH Chief of Staff Dr. William H.M. Finney became the first volunteer medical director. He immediately forged a relationship with the hospital which allowed Clinic patients to receive free specialty and surgical care.
  • After relocating twice on the same 1900 block of St. Paul Street due to ever increasing growth, the Shepherd’s Clinic-William H. M. Finney Foundation — created in 1999 to raise endowment funds in support of the Clinic — conducted a successful capital campaign and Shepherd’s Clinic moved again in early 2006 to a nearby permanent facility at 2800 Kirk Avenue, right behind Baltimore City College.
    Clinic Exterior w Mums

Our new home… what a great place!

  • The current clinic building offers patients, volunteer providers, and staff with a clean, safe, and professional environment, conducive to quality health care.
  • 60% of this 10,000 sq.ft. building is used for primary and related health care, while the remaining 40% is dedicated to an expanded mental health program and the Joy Wellness Center (JWC).
  • The wellness center builds upon the primary care services of the Clinic to provide patients with truly integrative health care, resulting in a healthier life.

Thanks to the thousands of volunteers who have made all of this possible!